The Creation of Learn 2 Listen


There seem to be endless possibilities that can overwhelm us if we let them. It is so easy to see things only from our point of view, we know it so well. But, I believe there is power in being able to understand someone else’s situation, experience, and opinion. To see where they are coming from, to empathize with them. 

Over the past few months, while the world seemingly shut down overnight due to COVID-19 and countless racial injustices, I have taken the time we gained back from quarantine to educate myself, to reflect on my values, and to discern a few passions of mine. I have done so by participating in forums, classes, and internships that have developed my understanding of the world and of myself. 

As I have started to educate myself on the many injustices that unfortunately seem to have become daily characteristics of life, I believe there is a lack of empathy prevalent in society. I want to work on improving human relations and understanding and thus, I began to brainstorm the project that has become Learn 2 Listen. I want to start vulnerable conversations with diverse people, but I didn't just want the mission to end there. I wanted to invite everyone to actively listen, and to learn from the wisdom of others about their hardships, their failures, their successes, and the defining moments that formed their persona. I want to increase mental health and wellbeing through conversation and connection. As I have progressed into my own self-awareness, I have found the grace of vulnerability, and I have been empowered by it. 

I recognize it can be terrifying to share our stories, to admit that we are uneasy, that we are uncertain, that we are uncomfortable. But, it has been in the most vulnerable moments where I have been forced to grow. That is why I wanted to build this community; I’ve witnessed firsthand the therapeutic relief and support from sharing our stories. This is just as much for me as it is for everyone else. I also consider it a requirement for me to be vulnerable so I can gain your trust. That being said, I will be the first to say I do not know all the answers and I might not relate to your experience, but I am here to listen and to learn. 

I also have a deep appreciation for those who wish to share stories anonymously and I have created that as an opportunity when sharing a story. For the sake of the varying comfort levels of those included in my own stories, I have chosen to keep names anonymous or use a pseudonym. I wanted to provide those who choose to submit their story the same choice. Everyone is in a different place in their life, and I want to respect that while still honoring any and all stories. I do not want this platform to have an agenda or be a place of judgment, just to be a welcoming community for us all to be better.

Learn 2 Listen is designed to foster unification in a time when we all are pulled in a million different directions. It can seem like the sole purpose or goal of a movement, opinion, or action is to divide society. In the beginning, I wasn’t sure if I wanted Learn 2 Listen to be a platform just for students, or for student-athletes, or any type of group. Ultimately, I reflected that the whole point of this platform was to share stories, and I didn’t want to exclude anyone from feeling as though they wouldn’t find listening ears. I strive to make this platform as diverse as I can, ranging from any age, gender, sexual orientation, race, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, educational background, occupation, employment status, social status. Successes or failures, friends or foes, we all have a story to tell. I can personally guarantee a listening ear, and I'm willing to bet others will as well. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The inequality and inequity of paralympians with Jenny Sichel, Paralympian and mental health advocate

Mentorship and listening go hand in hand with Mike Leonard and Bud Boughton (in partnership with Big Brothers Big Sisters)

Learning to be comfortable in your own skin with Colton Haymon, Solutions Architect Manager (Range21) and Co-Founder (ColMonet)